Sunday, July 7, 2013

Great Summer Reads

A couple more book reviews - both of which I really enjoyed!  And two books that made (and would make for you) fun Summer reads.

1) Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan

Her first book, Commencement, came out a few years ago and I really enjoyed it, as well.  This one (similar to Commencement, actually), follows four women's lives and each chapter is told in a different one's 1st-person voice.  The women in this book are a grandmother, her daughter, her daughter-in-law, and her granddaughter.  I just loved it.  It's about their past, their current lives, and the ways their lives intertwine with each other.  It all sort of centers on the family vacation house in Maine and their time there in the past and in the present.

It reads super quick and is mostly about Summer (when they're in Maine) - so it feels appropo right now.

2) The Host by Stephanie Meyer

Yes, Stephanie Meyer is the woman who wrote the Twilight books.  (Whatev, you know you loved them too.)  They say this is her first book for adults, although I might argue it could be a book for teens, as well.  But the main characters are adults, so I guess that's why they classified it that way.  Anyway - it's a dystopia (my fave!) about an alien species that has taken over Earth.  When they come in, they inject themselves (the "souls") into human bodies and live through the human, thus eliminating the human.  Only - they don't completely eliminate the human spirit every time. (Dun dun dun!)

I liked this book a lot maybe even more than I really care to admit.  At its core, it's a love story.  But one of the things I liked most is that I honestly didn't know: a) how it was going to end or b) how I wanted it to end.  It's a love story, so you would think the reader just wants boy to end up with girl at the end, but it's more complicated than that.

It's unpredictable and has some suspenseful moments.  And a charming love story(ies).  When I finished, I felt a connection to the book, like I didn't want it to end.  I might or might not have read the ending a couple times.  Make sure if you do read it, your copy of the book has the afterword from Stephanie Meyer where she wrote an additional chapter to aid the people who adapted the book for film.

Both good summer reads - both highly recommended!

1 comment:

Tippy said...

My sister Trina clicked through to your blog! She really loves your book reviews. :)

Have you seen the film adaptation? Just wonder if it is close to the book or not.